Thursday, August 12, 2010

Here's a list of ways in which Sue is better than me.


- Being Vegetarian. When we were around 12 and 13, we decided to be vegetarians. Or more like, Sue decided and I went along with it. She's kept with it, but I got lazy and started eating meat again when I was 15 or so. The last time Sue ate meat, she was living abroad in Edinburgh, at a restaurant, and dying of starvation. In Scotland, often times restaurants will say they offer vegetarian options but what they really mean is they have chicken or fish, so Sue settled on scallops, because "They don't have central nervous systems." I think about this literally every time I eat scallops.

- Remembering birthdays. Sue and I share this ability, but she's better at it. Sue can tell you the birthdays of kids from summer camp, distant relatives, dead pets, dead presidents, living presidents. If you have a birthday, and you've told me, there's a 75% chance I'll remember it in 5 years. But if you tell Sue, there's a 99.9% chance that she'll remember it forever.

- Reading. Sue learned to read when she was like 3 days old or something ridiculous like that. I, on the other hand, didn't start reading until I was embarrassingly old. And then it took even longer for me to actually comprehend what I was reading. I'm dyslexic, and I had the hardest time wrapping my mind around written language. It's pretty complicated when you think about it - letters compose words, words contain meaning, and if you string enough words together (in a left to right pattern), you can express a complete thought. But the written letters in the word "cat" or "airplane" look nothing like ACTUAL cats or airplanes, so why do we all agree on the meaning? And what's the deal with lower case b's and d's? They're the exact same shape, just facing different directions. And why does this matter when there are tree forts to defend?

-Arguing. I have never, in my entire life, won an argument with my sister. I've never even come close. No one has ever won an argument with my sister. One time Sue made Judge Judy run to her bedroom, sobbing.

- History. I like history, but Sue is passionate about it. She talks about history the way most people talk about "Top Chef". It's awesome actually. I like it when people can talk passionately about things.

This is a picture of her on her wedding day. One day Sue will find this list and send me an email pointing out my grammatical errors.

No comments: