Friday, June 3, 2011

Palm Springs

I'm in Palm Springs with my in-laws. At 6:30 in the morning, I will be woken up by my niece, Ella, jumping on my stomach. It's 11:30pm and Sam and I just swam in the pool, then got in the hot tub, then jumped back to the pool. Very fun stuff. The drive here was fine. Traffic, but I didn't mind. We listened to Paul Simon, Simon and Garfunkel, and Martin Sexton on the way. I drove. Lloyd the Car did a great job.

I first came to Palm Springs in 1990. If I ever see my life flash before my eyes, I hope that the first morning in Palm Springs makes the cut - Mom and Dad standing on either side of the door. They tell me to keep my eyes closed. They're smiling, this must be good. Doors open to reveal California - blue, bright, warm, fragrant, magical, easily the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I felt like Dorothy when she first sees Munchkin Land. Here's what I knew about California. 1. It was far away from Virginia, and 2. it's where "Full House" came from. Full House was more than a TV show, it was my religion. The next time I went to California, I was in 4th grade, tagging along on a business trip with my dad. Then I didn't come back until 2008. Then briefly in 2009. And then in the beginning of 2010, I moved out here for pilot season. Then in the fall of 2010 I moved here for real (Drivers license and voting = real).

Now, in the middle of 2011, I'm back in Palm Springs. It's actually very funny to me - my life, the choices I've made, my entire career, all somehow based on my freakish childhood obsession with Full House. I've come full circle just by walking in place. I'm excited to see Ella's face in the morning.

No comments: