Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ella liked my sarong so I gave her one that she can keep "forever and ever and ever".

My niece is adorable, right?

I learned how to swim under water. This is a big deal for me. I had a smattering of swimming-related mishaps in my life. Not enough to keep me away from water, but enough to make me think I would never be a strong swimmer. This is no longer the case. You are currently reading the blog of a woman who can...
- do flips in the pool - forwards, backwards, sideways, every way
- dive to the bottom of the deep end to retrieve fallen Lego men
- do handstands and stay there for up to 2 seconds
- swim under water, eyes open, like a goddamn mermaid

On Saturday night, Bob, Perian, Adam, Sam and I played the most exciting game of Marco Polo anyone has ever played. It was late and dark, except for the pool which was illuminated. We had to whisper so we wouldn't wake up everyone at the Casa Cody hotel. Afterwards we went to the hot tub and talked and found ourselves singing. Adam and I gave a fully committed performance of The Confrontation between Jean Valjean and Javier from "Les Mis". Between the 2 of us, we knew 75% of the words.

2 comments:

Sheena Maria said...

There are 2 things I especially love about this post:

1: it contains the all-too-rarely used phrase "goddamn mermaid."

2: I myself had never been a strong swimmer (I'm 28) until this year on vacation. I inadvertently splashed a few children in the process....but I finally learned to swim under water. However, I still have to hold my nose when I jump in....

Also, in your honor, I now call all of my professors fat, even though they rave on and on about having medium B.M.I.s and running marathons.

Elaine Carroll said...

I agree that "goddamn mermaid" is a term that needs to be brought back to daytime. And I'm thrilled that you're calling your professors fat as there are not enough body image issues in academia.