Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reasons My Sister is Better Than Me (Revised)

I got the story wrong. This is what happened.

"First of all, it was a mussel, a single mussel. In Edinburgh, it's actually fairly easy to find vegetarian food, like in the rest of the U.K. One night, dad got mussels in butter sauce for dinner. He starts raving about how great it tastes and keeps goading me to try one. Since dad had just taken an international trip to help me move to Edinburgh, I felt I should oblige him just this once. It tasted buttery. So one buttery mussel in autumn 2001 was the last time I knowingly ate meat.

A big part of the reason why I don't eat meat is that I don't want a sentient creature to feel pain and die just for me to have a meal. Some shellfish like scallops and mussels don't really have nervous systems like other creatures--their central nervous system isn't, well, centralized--no brain. So if science could prove that scallops or mussels don't feel pain, I would consider eating them."

Sorry for the confusion.

No comments: