Friday, May 27, 2011

I did an interview with The Daily Brink and they just sent me the pictures so I'm gonna take this opportunity to discuss Stevie the Cat

This is me and Stevie.



Stevie is a great cat. She is a girl cat with a boy name. That was an accident. We foolishly thought she was a male when we first met her because she was really friendly and outgoing and we know nothing about cat anatomy and everything about cat stereotypes. My family made the same mistake with our childhood cat who we adopted in 1988. We were told she was a male and my nerdy sister, 7 at the time, named her Einstein. By the time the vet told us he was a she, it was too late. Einstein was already Einstein. Stevie will always be Stevie. Sorry cats. On the bright side, neither Einstein or Stevie seemed to have too much of a complex about it. When Dave and I first started petting her, she rubbed her head into our hands in the same back 'n forth Stevie Wonder style. That's how she got her name.

Stevie was *sort of* born December 8th 2010. It's the anniversary of John Lennon's death, which is already a big deal in my house, but now it'll also be remembered as Stevie's Birthday (Observed). It's the day she adopted us. Yeah, she adopted us. This cat had been wandering around our yard for a couple days. Dave, Andy and I all noticed her. She was skinny and nervous, but cute and brave. No collar, no micro-chip (at least not that we felt), and our neighbors didn't know anything about her. My roommates and I had no intention of getting a pet. I already have a cat (the distinguished Mr. Hammers best known for his role as "Comet" in Very Mary-Kate). But this desperate little cat was too cute. She was hungry and skinny, but obviously sweet and smart and would make a great pet for someone. So we came up with a plan:

The plan:
1. See if the cat would come into our apartment on her own free will. She did.
2. Run to the pet store on Hillhurst, grab wet and dry food, litter, a litter box.
3. Take her to a vet asap.
4. Let her spend the holidays with us, then in the new year investigate no-kill animal shelters

However after about 2 days of living with Stevie we all fell deeply in love with her. We took her to the vet and everything checked out. Turns out she had been fixed which means she probably either had an owner who then got rid of her or moved away or she escaped... guess we'll never know.

Stevie's interests:

1. chasing crumbled up pieces of paper and getting so into it that she runs into walls.
2. killing and eating bugs
3. sitting on people, preferably with her butt in your face.
4. sitting on window sills
5. parading around the house with dirty socks in her mouth
6. string of any sort! Twine! iPod headphones! You name it, she'll kill it!
7. kneading (eyes closed or partially closed, never opened)
8. sleep marathons
9. impersonating Stevie Wonder

My favorite Stevie fact is how she meows like a slot machine. When she wants food, her meow comes out in this low-to-high pitch tone, kind of like an old-timey cash register. I swear to God. Come over at 7 in the morning and listen for yourself.

I love this animal so much it embarrasses me.

Hey this is a picture of what my face looked like last week when the fabulous Dan C. came over to take pictures of me in my kitchen.


My street


My front yard. My neighbor's plant.

No comments: